Best Propane Smokers
Gas Fired BBQ With Great Smoke Flavor
Propane (also known as) gas smokers are popular for a number of reasons, but price and convenience are among the top two. It’s not hard to find decent quality for a good price, but whether you’re looking for something to just get the job done, or something a little fancier, we’ve put together a list with plenty of options. While a good majority are cabinet smokers, they each bring something different to the table. These are some of the best propane smokers on the market, but first, let’s look at the advantages.
Can you really make good BBQ on propane?
Of course! The popular opinion among the most die-hard barbecue lovers may be that nothing beats traditional wood fired smoke, but that still won’t stop most of them from having a propane smoker out back for variety. “Gassers” come in handy in all sorts of situations, ease of use being one of them. Sometimes tending to the fire all day can get in the way of your plans, and whether you’re watching the game, entertaining, or doing stuff around the house, propane smokers will help free you from babysitting your food all day. What’s better than working in the yard all day, building up an appetite and having some juicy BBQ all ready to sit down to when you’re done?
Space is another advantage. Most of the units featured are cabinet smokers so you can stack food in a larger chamber without taking up too much real estate. The adjustable grids will allow you to stand up full turkeys, or have a variety of food all smoking at once. You can even grab some hook attachments and hang links or ribs for more versatility.
Fuel-wise, there’s no need to keep checking for a refill. Just set it and forget it, and if you have a natural gas hookup, you’ll never run out. As for flavor? it’s still fire and wood once you add your chips, so there’s lots of smoky goodness for your food. With propane, it’s just a little easier to control depending on how you like your smoke.
So let’s check out some propane smokers
This Camp Chef cabinet smoker is a popular unit in backyards all over the country. It landed a spot on our overall best smokers list, and that because it’s spacious, versatile, and affordable. Its temperature ranges hold steady at various settings, allowing for cold smoking, low and slow, or hot and fast.
- Comes with two regular, and one Jerky Rack
- Allows up to five cooking racks in total
- Cold smokes as low as 150°F or got hot and fast as high as 400°F
- Convenient matchless snap ignition
- Stainless steel pan for wood chunks or chips
- Sizeable water pan for keeping moisture in
- Cooking tips, ideas, and recipes included
One Of The Most Popular Gas Smokers
Masterbuilt Pro Two-Door Propane Smoker
This Masterbuilt smoker is a favorite among many, and if you look at reviews, you’ll find many helpful tips to enhance your smoking process, all with simple, non-destructive mods that can be done for a few extra bucks. They come in two different sizes and each has their own advantage depending on your needs.
The 30″ model comes with a two door set-up, with separate access to the fire box (both models double as a charcoal smoker). This allows you to check and restock wood chunks without losing any cabinet heat. They are a bit tighter when it comes to full racks of ribs, though. You can still fit two per shelf, but you’ll have to angle them diagonally to fit. The 40″ model has no problem with this, but you trade the second access door.
To some, this doesn’t matter, because as the old saying goes “if you’re looking, you ain’t cooking” but we thought we’d mention the difference. Both are great units, and the 30″ is one of the best propane smokers on a budget, all around.
- Dual-fuel smoker. Use propane or wood/charcoal
- Stainless steel burner
- Push-button ignition
- Four chrome smoking racks with 717 square inch of cooking space
- Vertical design takes up very little space in the backyard
- Locking door with built-in temperature gauge and cool touch wire handle
Smoke Hollow LP Gas Smoker
Another cabinet smoker with different sizing options, but unlike the Masterbuilt, this one is a little bigger with 38″ and 44″ models. That means with the smaller option, you’ll have a much easier time fitting in full slabs of ribs. And if you go with the 44″ model, it’s large enough for a couple of beer-can chickens side by side on one level, with room to spare for a couple of extra racks of food up top.
- 3.4 cubic-feet Capacity
- 2-Door design for better access and heat control
- Cast Brass burners with push button Ignition
- 4 Chrome plated cooking grids w/multiple adjustment levels
- Porcelain-coated water pan and wood tray with lid
Best Propane Smokers On The Go
Masterbuilt Portable Propane Smoker
The propane version of a portable we featured in the best electric smokers. This compact smoker from Masterbuilt is great for tailgating, camping, the beach or any other situation where you might want to bring a little smoke.
They also come in handy during big cooks when your main smoker is already full, or if you need to cook something with different temperatures. Set this one up to take care of your side dishes or appetizers while you work on the main course, it will stay consistent, leaving your hands free for anything else you got on the go.
Alternatively, it’s also great while relaxing out back in the evening when you really don’t want to be bothered with any heavy cooking. Pop in a quick meal, have a beverage and enjoy the night outdoors. These smokers need very little attention.
- Easy to assemble, fold away legs for easy storage
- Two chrome-plated cooking racks
- Removable wood chip tray and water pan
- 1400 watt heating element
Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Gas Smoker
Moving on from cabinet smokers here’s a 3-in-1 cooker that uses infrared technology to grill, smoke, or roast your food evenly, and without any flare-ups. The Char-Broil “Big Easy” is easy to use and large enough for 25 lb. turkeys, pork butts or multiple racks of ribs. The roasting basket easily lifts your food from the chamber when it’s ready, and has chip box on the side for your desired amount of smoke. Just pop on the grill grate when you’re ready for steaks or burgers.
- Large capacity with option of double stacking smaller cuts of meat
- Durable porcelain coated hood with cool-touch handles
- (Heat retention inside – safe handling outside)
- Temperatures range from simmer to sear
- Consistent temps for set it and forget it smoking
Best Propane Smoker For Faster Cooking
Cajun Express Pressure Smoker
The most unique on the list, this Cajun Express by R&V works is a gas smoker and pressure cooker all in one. While it certainly has an odd looking shape, its design allows it to cook food in a fraction of the time of more traditional smokers.
Made in the USA with a heavy duty steel construction, the food grade door seal locks in heat while the chamber acts as a pressure/vacuum system. The built-in hydration regulator is crucial in keeping your food tender at such fast cook times.
- Available in 4, 6, and 9 “rib” models
- 4 rib model: 2 cooking grids, holds 4 racks of baby backs or one 15 lb. turkey
- 9 rib model: 3 cooking levels
- Stainless steel cooking grates
- Heavy gauge carbon steel stand with 8″ rear wheels and 3″ swivel casters
- Removable side shelf for convenience